E KOMO MAI
Waikiki Surf Club was organized in February of 1948 by a group of beach enthusiasts who wanted to compete in beach activities but could not do so because of the lack of space to store their surfboards and lack of surfing canoes and racing equipment. The first year of activity found the organization with a membership of 600 active members, a club room, surfboard lockers, shower room and a beach area for the storage of canoes and beach chairs and umbrellas for the members. The facilities made available were through the cooperation and courtesy of Mr. Ruddy Tongg and the Waikiki Tavern officers.
“Dad” Center loaned the club his personal canoe for the first season and later sold it to the organization. Since then there have been other canoes that have been raced, owned or used by the club for its activities.